Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Risky Business Monitor: Dec. 15, 2014

Facts are more important than opinions in my world, where I employ the former to grow the latter. A case in point: The U.S. Federal Reserve’s cessation of purchases under the first two of its three formal quantitative-easing programs was associated with significant periods of adjustment in equity prices in all three major market-capitalization classes, so the two consolidations related to the end of purchases under the last one of these programs appear completely unsurprising to me.

During the first consolidation, the SPDR S&P 500 ETF (SPY) intraday declined to $181.92 Oct. 15 from $201.90 Sept. 19, a decrease of -$19.98, or 9.90 percent. During the second (and continuing) consolidation, SPY intraday dipped to $198.78 Monday from $208.47 Dec. 5, a drop of -$9.69, or 4.65 percent. And the most significant thing to me is that these two consolidations likely represent not the end but the beginning of the stock market’s latest period of adjustment, as indicated in these three articles at Seeking Alpha:




Meanwhile, I also had a couple of pieces of interest published at the International Business Times over the weekend, as follows:



As it turned out, of course, it was not Apollo Global Management LLC (APO) but the privately held BC Partners Ltd. and its associates that eventually landed PetSmart Inc. (PETM), as Reuters later reported.

Related Reading





Shameless Self-Promotion! If you like my work, then you can follow me as J.J. McGrath at Google+ and Seeking Alpha, as JJMcGrath at StockTwits and @JJMcGrath3000 at Twitter. If you do not like my work, then you can follow me at all those places, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment